Sunday, July 24, 2011

Half Iron Man Triathlon

He finished…he finished…and we couldn’t be more proud!

The past 6 months, have been crazy for us to say the least, but somehow (5 a.m. somehow) Mike has fit in a lot of training so he was able to complete a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run.  What a huge accomplishment for him. 

The morning started off early for all of us as we departed the Laschen’s house at 4:45 a.m.  From the time we got to Chicago City, both Daddy and Thomas had their game faces on.  We also were able to say “hi and good luck with our 4 other friends who were also participating in the race.

Mike started the race with a swim and after we chased him out of the water and watched him like a flash get off on his bike it was time for us to grab breakfast.  Thomas and I went to a little café and shared some eggs and toast.   I will be honest I was a little nervous how the rest of the day would progress because Thomas was not a huge fan of standing around and waiting for the race to start and then waiting another 45 minutes for his dad to finish his swim.  Thankfully, this was the “worst” of our marathon.tri starttri swimTri Thomas and Daddy

After breakfast we headed back to the truck to see if I could convince Thomas to take a nap.  Once he fell asleep I thought I could get him in his stroller and that then I could enjoy some  It was a hard battle but he slept for about 25 minutes!  Then it was off to the course to catch everyone on the bike, bike to run transition and then run.   At this point, Thomas’ grandpa and great grandpa came in for some reinforcement.tri running

After we saw Mike come in on the bike we quickly headed over to watch him start off on the run.  Thomas rode along in his stroller content to barely keep his eyes open and try to stay a part of the action!  After we gave up on him falling asleep he went with his grandpas to see the water, played in the lake for a bit with me and then went to the park.tri thomas with his grandpas

Then it was time for the finish!  After the weather had cooperated most of the race at this point it was past 1 and it was getting HOT!  Both Thomas and I were sweating so I cannot imagine how hot it felt for the triathletes as they were running on black pavement.   We were able to see Doc, Miller, Mike, Jacy and CJ all cross the finish line!  What an accomplishment!  Thomas was so proud of his daddy and could not wait to go to him even if he was hot and sweaty.tri finish

tri thomas and his daddyFinally after some cooling down, food for everyone and gathering their things it was back to the Laschen’s we went.  FINALLY, Thomas went to sleep walking back to the truck in the stroller.  He was such a trooper supporting his daddy!  tri celebrating

In Mike’s words “When I got there in the morning I was nervous but the atmosphere was great and I was excited to start the race. The swim took longer than I thought it would, but I felt good. Once I got on the bike, it was great to ride through the countryside. The wind picked up a little which made things more difficult, but thankfully the weather was still cool and overcast at this point. Got to the run and felt more tired than I wanted to be. After the sun came out and it was getting warmer with every mile I really started to feel drained. In the end, I didn’t get the time I wanted however I finished and felt like that was an accomplishment. It was great to have support from my family and friends that were at the race.”tri end of the day

Once we got back to the Laschen’s house we caught more pool time and Jeff and Kathy hosted a BBQ for everyone to celebrate a job well done!

No comments: