Saturday, April 28, 2012

39 Weeks…

Well here we are again at the 39 week mark and baby is just as comfy as ever in my belly!  I am not so comfy, but also still have not completely wrapped my head around a new baby coming into our lives very soon.

This past week we had our reality check as we did with Thomas.  Since 37 weeks my blood pressure has been slowly creeping up.  All of my lab work has continued to be great, but nonetheless a rising blood pressure is a warning sign for us and my doctor.

After an appointment Monday with instructions to call if it went above a certain point, Tuesday night they had me go into triage.  So after scrambling to pack our bags, Mike and Thomas brought me to the hospital.  Then they were off to have dinner and play before Mike would put him to bed and come back to be with me for what we thought was going to be baby “go” time.April 22 I have to say we were all very surprised that I was able to leave and didn’t have the baby that night.  Both Thomas and Stella were so excited to come back and get me, I got lots of hugs and kisses before the night was over.  It was a wild fire drill with plane tickets being booked by my parents and ultimately the let down of baby is staying put for a few more days.  Even more frustrating was/is the measurable (but not strong enough) contractions every 3-5 minutes that still continue on a daily basis.

So then it was back to the doctor’s office on Thursday for a “plan.”  I have to say I really do like my doctor and have found myself not questioning her antics as much as I did the first go around.  She calmly explained to me that although my labs are all good that a high blood pressure that continues to creep up is still concerning.   She feels that at this point there is a risk vs. benefit that we have to balance between keeping baby girl and myself healthy.   Therefore, she is giving baby girl the weekend to decide to come on her own or she will be coaxing her out by induction sometime on Monday. 

Lots of emotions go into preparing for a baby, labor, and 2nd induction.  I didn’t say much about my first on here, but many of you know that my last induction was a 42 hour process and it was physically and emotionally exhausting.  This time I am also feeling torn as I have 2 baby’s to worry about. 

Thomas and I have yet to spend a night apart since he was born and I am very grateful and proud of that fact.  To some it may seem weird or over bearing, I am a very over protective mother and I do not mind that I have yet to have a “free night.”  I know those nights are coming in the future when my son will be old enough to understand and not be upset about me being away.  So with that said, trying to figure out how to have a 2nd baby and keep the 1st baby happy/content is all a balancing act. 

Many people have asked if I think “Thomas is ready?”  I always answer the same way “he is as ready as a 2 year old can be.”  We have been reading about having a new baby, he has been involved in every conversation and talk about his baby sister.  He is practicing and talking about  holding his baby sister and showing her his toys.   He loves going into her room and showing us “sister’s stuff.”  So we will see when she comes what his reaction really is. 

We will have a lot of adjusting to do as we become a family of 7, Mike and I are both anxious and excited all at the same time.  The count down is on and we are ready for the upcoming weeks.  We are also so excited to be having my parents and Mike’s parents out in the next few weeks.  Stay tuned, ready or not baby girl Laschen going to be here before Tuesday!

No comments: