Saturday we started our MARCH. We went 4 miles, up the side of a mountain, in snowshoes, with 50 lbs on our backs, in 3 feet of fresh powder....YUCKY....YUCKY....YUCKY!!!!!!!! Seriously, it was once of the hardest things I have ever done, or maybe I was not in as good of shape as I had previously thought?! When we got there we were all so exhausted....so we ended up enjoying a couple hour nap. By the time our energy levels were up, we had crusty snow, and our great skiing ended up being 1 run :-( Then we went back into the hut, made some dinner, enjoyed good conversation, and rested up for the RETURN DEATH MARCH.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Death March
The Death March started the last weekend of March, when Mike and I headed up to Wolf Creek Pass to back country ski with our friends Jacy and Garrett.
Our trip just started of badly, but all in all it could have been so much worse and we all made it out safe! That Thursday we ended up getting a huge storm all through the mountains and the metro area, so when we left on Friday our drive took us a lot longer than expected. When we got to the ski area our original plan was squashed. We had been told that it would be OK to take our snowmobile up a short 4 mile trail, so we could sled up all our gear.
We started to unload around 5 and were told that we couldn't go the 1/4 of a mile on the snowmobile on "Wolf Creek Ski Property." So we went to plan B...head up a much longer trail that was "a bit tricky, but you should see the hut." Off we went....Jacy and I put on our snowshoes and headed up the trail with Stella, while Mike and Garrett took a load up and went to the hut. After about an hour and a half we, Jacy and I, started to get worried about the lack of news from the guys. At this time, we are watching the sun get closer and closer to the mountain tops too.
We then heard from them and they told us they couldn't find it...they were going to try to look a bit longer and then head back for us.
Well they never found it....so we had to go into quick get out of the mountains, as the sun was setting, and we were all getting cold and tired. Mike and Stella started to hike back, while Jacy and Garrett drove the snowmobile, and I skied behind it. Then I snowmobiled back up to Mike and Stella, Mike drove back and Stella and I rode in the back on the sled (she was a bit nervous-but is a great adventure puppy).
We headed into a small town, found a hotel room and went to the "locals" bar to grab a drink, and ponder our next move.
Saturday we started our MARCH. We went 4 miles, up the side of a mountain, in snowshoes, with 50 lbs on our backs, in 3 feet of fresh powder....YUCKY....YUCKY....YUCKY!!!!!!!! Seriously, it was once of the hardest things I have ever done, or maybe I was not in as good of shape as I had previously thought?! When we got there we were all so exhausted....so we ended up enjoying a couple hour nap. By the time our energy levels were up, we had crusty snow, and our great skiing ended up being 1 run :-( Then we went back into the hut, made some dinner, enjoyed good conversation, and rested up for the RETURN DEATH MARCH.
The return wasn't as bad because it wasn't uphill, and we got to ski the last 3 miles out, but the first mile and last half a mile were uphill and awful...I was ready for the car and wheels when we were finished.
All in all, if it would have worked out it would have been great, maybe next year???? Or maybe I will make that a boys trip and I will go to the spa????
Saturday we started our MARCH. We went 4 miles, up the side of a mountain, in snowshoes, with 50 lbs on our backs, in 3 feet of fresh powder....YUCKY....YUCKY....YUCKY!!!!!!!! Seriously, it was once of the hardest things I have ever done, or maybe I was not in as good of shape as I had previously thought?! When we got there we were all so exhausted....so we ended up enjoying a couple hour nap. By the time our energy levels were up, we had crusty snow, and our great skiing ended up being 1 run :-( Then we went back into the hut, made some dinner, enjoyed good conversation, and rested up for the RETURN DEATH MARCH.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment