Where to begin....
On Wednesday, I called daycare on a feeling that I should check in, and found out that Stella had just left for the vet because during their nap/lunch time "something" had happened.
Their best guess was that she and another dog (her friend Miles-that she was staying with while Mike and I were away) had fallen asleep and their feet had slipped under their kennel into an aggressive dogs kennel. Both Stella and Miles had scrapes, he didn't need vet attention, but they believed that the dog had grabbed a nold of Stella's foot and she couldn't get it out of his mouth and the other kennel so she was pretty chewed up.
This was not an easy thing for this mother bear momma to hear being a thousand miles away and with her eye surgery coming up (we might be pushing it back.) So our neighbor sent us this picture of Stella on Wednesday night after the vet cleaned her up and put a bandage on. They also sent her home with antibiotics and pain/anti-inflammatory meds.
Well.... today Mike and I got home to a very excited puppy and her very happy mommy and daddy to be home with her. We also had to do a re-check at the vet. So to make it as untramatic as possible we took her bandage off at home and were shocked and amazed at just how bad it looked. Mike and I both described it as it looking like her leg went into the meat grinder.
The vet is pleased with how all the scrapes are doing on the top of her leg, but is very concerned about the puncture in between her toe. It is more swollen than she would like so she sent us home, unbandaged with a second antibiotic and more anti-inflammatory/pain meds.
She also has instructed us to soak her foot 2x per day in a diluted iodine solution-not an easy task with a 110 lbs puppy who doesn't want to stand up and needs to have her owie soaked. 1x down, 13 more to go :-) We have another re-check on Monday-so please send all your healthy healing wishes for Stella our way...we all could use it!
On Wednesday, I called daycare on a feeling that I should check in, and found out that Stella had just left for the vet because during their nap/lunch time "something" had happened.
Their best guess was that she and another dog (her friend Miles-that she was staying with while Mike and I were away) had fallen asleep and their feet had slipped under their kennel into an aggressive dogs kennel. Both Stella and Miles had scrapes, he didn't need vet attention, but they believed that the dog had grabbed a nold of Stella's foot and she couldn't get it out of his mouth and the other kennel so she was pretty chewed up.
This was not an easy thing for this mother bear momma to hear being a thousand miles away and with her eye surgery coming up (we might be pushing it back.) So our neighbor sent us this picture of Stella on Wednesday night after the vet cleaned her up and put a bandage on. They also sent her home with antibiotics and pain/anti-inflammatory meds.
Well.... today Mike and I got home to a very excited puppy and her very happy mommy and daddy to be home with her. We also had to do a re-check at the vet. So to make it as untramatic as possible we took her bandage off at home and were shocked and amazed at just how bad it looked. Mike and I both described it as it looking like her leg went into the meat grinder.
The vet is pleased with how all the scrapes are doing on the top of her leg, but is very concerned about the puncture in between her toe. It is more swollen than she would like so she sent us home, unbandaged with a second antibiotic and more anti-inflammatory/pain meds.
She also has instructed us to soak her foot 2x per day in a diluted iodine solution-not an easy task with a 110 lbs puppy who doesn't want to stand up and needs to have her owie soaked. 1x down, 13 more to go :-) We have another re-check on Monday-so please send all your healthy healing wishes for Stella our way...we all could use it!
1 comment:
OMG!!!!!! I would have cried! I hope Stella recovers son!
Post a Comment