Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventures in gardening…

So we are off to another season of gardening.  This year it is going to be a new experience and we are excited to see what grows and how.    We have limited yard space so Mike (with a little help from me) built a garden box for our backyard. 

IMG_4453IMG_4032  This is where me and my real experiment comes in.  Last year we had loads of tomatoes and I decided to use a method I found on the internet to save the seeds.  In this you have to ferment the seeds in jars of water for over a week and then dry them.  Mike thought I was nuts for doing this and even more so because he didn’t think it would work.  WELL so far  it is and I have all these little guys to prove it!IMG_4053I also kept seeds from all of our plants last year and then bought seed packets for beans because last years were a flop.  So far our garden this year has all been planted from seed.  We will give the seeds a few more weeks to grow and see what happens.  We may have to add a few store bought plants in, but hopefully not!IMG_4052    While we have been outside making our garden box and planting, Thomas has been playing in the water and dirt.   He loves being outside and I am pretty sure he tries to see just how dirty he can get…  IMG_4463

No comments: