Thomas rocked to sleep with his Daddy on Thursday February 2nd, 2011! No tears, no crying, no asking for Mama, just like that it happened. One night, without any planning, he was tired and wasn’t wanting to lay in bed next to me, or to nurse, so Mike took him in to rock.
I was afraid to move, make any noise or breathe in our room and then all of a sudden I see this…ta da!
Now, just because he did it once doesn’t mean it will happen every night. Nor do Mike or I expect it to, but this is huge in all 3 of our worlds!
I can say that since then it has happened again, Sunday night! Way to go Daddy and Thomas. Another step in growing up!
We also started the big shuffle of rooms over the weekend. We moved the old guest bed into Thomas’ new big boy room. He had his new dresser and night stand delivered on Tuesday. Since we did this a little sooner than we thought, to go with his growing desire for independence, we still have some accessories to get. Stay tuned for his big boy room reveal!
Mama’s thoughts…
I don’t know if I am ready for this or not, but it has not been as hard for me as I would have thought a few months ago. I can recall bawling, sobbing and curling up in Mike’s arms, after Thomas fell asleep one night in late November. At that time I was scared, petrified about how we would both do with our changing relationship, scared he (and I) wasn’t going to be ready for him to be BIG and a new baby to come into our lives.
It is so bittersweet, knowing what I have been able to do and provide thus far for my sweet little boy. There is such a sense of pride that all the effort that was put into nursing for this long, the nights of waking up with a growing newborn/infant/toddler due to hunger, thirst, pain or comfort are all just steps in development. Mike and I have both worked very hard and stayed very committed to following his lead even when the nights got long and our nerves were frayed.
It also recharges me for the long nights/days we have coming ahead with our new little one. I won’t say it has been easy, but we both believe whole heartedly in following each of our baby’s leads and letting them show us what their body needs. What an amazing experience it has been to watch him change and grow thus far and I can’t wait to continue to see where his path and ours will lead us.
p.s. the more I am open with people about where we are at with Thomas, him still in our bed, still nursing, ect the more others open up and say that they have something similar going on. It always makes me feel like we are a little less “out of the perceived norm.”
No comments:
Post a Comment