Sunday, March 31, 2013

Thomas is 3, Oh my Oh Gee!

Our littlest guy has so quickly turned into a fiercely stubborn, independent, warm hearted little boy.  As I held his sleeping body on the airplane and flew into what was his birthday tears started to flow.  Tears for many reasons: joy, sadness, pride, accomplishment and many other unexplainable things.  I can still remember every minute of how 3 years ago played out and the moment that they placed his little body on my chest. I am sure that this is something that all mothers can do and savor.  It will still be one of the absolute single best days of my entire life. He was everything Mike and I had hoped and prayed for. A healthy strong baby boy with such chubby cheeks. We often joke about how his stubbornness to be born continues in his everyday life. When I talk head strong, this little guy has both his dad and I's strong will combined and ideas about how his and our world will work.  It presents a wonderful challenge as his parents. A challenge that Mike and I are navigating and although not always 100% certain and turning to new literature and old wisdom to help we continue to embrace his super spirited as strong willed side.IMG_1476
He is able to do many "super big guy" things now. He loves to be Daddy's helper with just about anything especially house work and yard work. He also is my helper with the pets, Elin and cleaning.
His large motor skills continue to be a huge area of strength for him and he is running, climbing, and jumping everywhere faster than ever. His endless amounts of energy absolutely floor me! He can swing and hit a ball, catch a ball, kick a ball while running and shoot a golf club and hockey stick. He continues to look like he will swing and shoot left and throw right and we can only hope someday he is a major leaguer....or happy doing whatever it is he may choose to do.
Fine motor tasks and learning activities can capture his attention for a few minutes but as they are more challenging he decides he is ready to move along. Oh did I mention he is super into "winning and being first?!"   He is still loving art projects, cutting paper and has started to independently do interlocking puzzles.

IMG_2075

Thomas is a idea superstar in the thinking and talking department.  For Mike and I we are able to understand most of what he says.  I am able to get about 95% of things, but every once in awhile he will tell me something and I just can’t seem to get my ears to work right.  Thankfully, he is ok with the fact that Mommy and Daddy’s ears sometimes aren’t working and has not yet started to show signs of communication frustration.   Mike and I often serve as translators for others who depending on the situation and such are sometimes not able to understand.  Although he isn’t always the easiest to understand his complex thoughts and ideas continue to amaze me.  The other day he brought Mike and I a heart cookie cutter and said “this is a heart I also have a heart in here” and then he pointed to his chest.  Welcome to the world of awe and amazement, which I feel like I have been saying for the past 3 years.  This kid always amazes me!

He is also coming into his own in terms of playing.  He is a very social boy who loves to play with other kids.  He loves to share and take turns most of the time.  He still has a few squabbles here and there but who doesn’t?!  He is the first to wonder if someone who is hurt is ok and is so super proud of his little sister.  He has started to stick up for her already and if she gets in trouble, he will tell Mike or myself “don’t yell at Elin!”  Our little buddy is just that, he is so super special to us.  He is still quite a snuggler and he still loves his warm hot chocolates (milk with a hint of chocolate) in the morning or after his nap.  He is a little grummpy waking up which is much like his Mama and he has energy and doesn’t stop moving which he gets from his Daddy.  He likes to touch my belly button as he falls asleep for a few minutes and still wants me in the room while he falls asleep.  He is still in our bed and has decided that his spot is where he would like to stay.  He tells us it is all “warm and nice.”   We will see if he decides that his room is super awesome again.  Time will tell. 

Thomas had his Well Child check up and the doctor was pleased with all his areas of development.  He was 29.2 lbs or in the 25%tile and was 37.5 inches or the 50%tile. 

A few of his favorites:

Shows: Curious George, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Wild Kratts

Activities: Anything his Dad is doing; playing baseball, hockey or soccer; playing with his truck/cars in the house, dirt or sand.

Foods:

Meats: Crab, Steak and Scallops

Veggies: Carrots, Green Beans and Snap Peas (cooked are not ok)

Fruits: Grapes, Apples, Strawberries

Other: Rice, Cous Cous, Olives and Cookies (coo coos)

Thomas Answers:

What is your name? Thomas James Laschen

Where do you live? at home, where is home…what city? Seattle (Sa-da)

Who is in your family? Mom, Dad, Dama, Bampa, Elin, Stella (Tella), Nana and Bampa

What is your favorite toy? Tractors

What is your favorite thing to play? games, big games, baseball and hockey and I play them downstairs and outside

What is your favorite color? Blue

What is your favorite thing to eat? Crabs, my like everything.

What do you want to be when you grow up? A worker guy like Daddy

Who is your best friend? Dan and Gabe

What is your favorite thing to drink? water or fizzy drink

What are your thoughts on turning 3? good, now I can get in my drawer. 

What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?  Play go go games

What is your favorite thing to do with Mom? Read books

What is your favorite thing to do with Elin? Play chase

IMG_2086

Happy Happy birthday to you baby big boy.  We love you so much and are so very blessed and proud to be able to call you our son.  May you have many more birthdays and may all your birthday wishes come true. 

No comments: