Sunday, March 30, 2014

Grandpa and Grandma McConachie Come for a Visit

Grandma McConachie had spring break and decided to come spend it with us.  She came in on Saturday night after the kids went to sleep and when they woke up they were ready to play.   Grandma offered to babysit and Mike and I went on a super fancy date to the grocery store, a kid less trip that we haven’t done together in a long time!  After lunch while Elin napped and Mike and Thomas had alone time, my mom and I ran to the mall to get a few things.  Then it was home for more play, dinner and bed.  IMG_9634IMG_9642Collages4IMG_9700Monday started off normal, we were going to go somewhere but Thomas just wanted to play at home with Grandma.  So I ran a few errands and when we were just about to sit down for lunch we got a call that my sister in law was in labor….a few weeks early!  That kind of threw us all for a loop and the rest of Monday my Mom and I spent pacing waiting for any and all updates.  I swear all my woman parts ache when anyone I know is in labor…and we were all hopeful for a quick and easy delivery for her.  As with most babes, that sweet girl had her own plan and she arrived just after Midnight.  While my mom and I waited for word on her birth we watched TV and crafted getting ready for Thomas’ birthday party.  IMG_9707Tuesday and Wednesday we also stuck close to home.  We headed over to the park for some playtime and then home for afternoon crafting and naps.  Thomas wanted to “help” so he did his best to cut circles and help us out.  With my mom playing with the kids I was also able to get another big chunk of organizing done in my craft room.  I still have a long way to go, but every hour in there helps.  I can’t believe how much old graduate school, therapy/work and such stuff I still have and continue to weed through.  We also got the house in a bit more order as we knew that Grandpa was coming in on Wednesday night and we had some busy days planned ahead. 2014-03-311 

On Thursday morning, Thomas could hardly wait to wake up and bust into wake up Grandpa, Elin wasn’t far behind.  After breakfast we headed down to the Perot Museum to see what we could see.  I forgot that every day but Monday’s are open to field trips and there were hundreds of 1st-4th graders running around, which made it a little tricky to see/do too much.  The kids still had fun and Grandpa and Grandma, more Grandpa, hung in there too.  March 20147After grabbing lunch we headed home and it was time for naps.  Then started the playhouse construction idea forming session.  Mike and I approached my parents and asked if they wanted to help make a playhouse as a joint present for the kids birthday.  It took a bit of convincing and ironing out the details but we finally had a master plan, and I knew it wouldn’t disappoint. 

The guys went to the store and picked up the first round of materials on Thursday night.  Grandma and I started Thomas’ cake and then got Elin to sleep.  The cake took much longer than anticipated with the littlest one waking up a few times and the HUMIDITY….UGH!!!  I seriously almost gave up but kept on and it turned out ok, Thomas liked it and it tasted good so I sucked up my pride and left it at that.   The guys all beat us to bed on Thursday and my mom and I stayed up constructing and cleaning until just after midnight.  Collages9

2014-03-312On Friday morning we were in party and construction mode.  We had a bunch to do and also the littles to play with.  While Grandma was at the grocery store she bumped into a few fire fighters and had them send a message to Thomas.  He was a little confused as to “how they knew it was his birthday?!”  It was a great idea on Grandma’s part and it started off the “party day.”  The party was a huge success and Thomas really enjoyed himself.  If you missed it you can check out pictures from the party here.March 20148

Collages7On Saturday and Sunday we got more done on the playhouse.  Grandma, Elin and I also snuck away to the nursery to get a few new flowers for our front pots and a couple more veggies we needed (pictures in the garden post here).  Then we spent the day outside as it was gorgeous and got lots of work done.  Before we knew it it was Sunday and time for Grandpa and Grandma to fly home, which is always bittersweet.  On their end this time it was softened as Grandma got to go and meet Miss Maggie on Monday.  Can’t wait for their next visit and project, wink wink!  Thanks for all the help and memories Mom/Grandma and Dad/Grandpa!  

No comments: