Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hiking Adventure and Weekend

We got up early this morning to head up to the trail head which was near Vail, CO. I have a cold but in the name of good blogging and scrapbook I need to get a picture of Mike fly fishing. So I got up and got going, Mike was already to go and had the trail mapped out. We were suppose to be hiking to a different lake, but decided that we would try this trail out instead. It was all good until about 10 minutes into the hike when I realized that we were only going straight up, and there wasn't any flats in sight! (Typically in the mountains you gain elevation but you do it gradually or with a steep part here or there) Then Mike told me the truth it was a 3. 8 mile hike with a 3,400 foot elevation gain...so basically ever mile we hiked we were climbing a 1,000 at high altitude...not so much fun at 9:30 am. We were about an hour into the hike and just over 2.5 miles in when the next set of obstacles started...SNOW and lots of it! We were expecting some patches of snow, but we weren't expecting fields of snow that was 3 feet deep on our trails. We navigated this for an hour, following the trail as much as possible and when not possible crossing our fingers that we would find it a sooner than later. I also stumbled on this paw print...you guess what it is...I don't want to know but I sure didn't want to see it either!We ended up making it to our final destination (not the end of the trail) and much to Mike's dislike there were no fish in this lake! Once we reached this lake we decided that it was just too sketchy to continue to hike up. It was getting harder and harder to locate the trail, and we had to conceded to the snow. All in all we both agreed that the hike was not worth it in the end and won't be heading back up on that trail anytime soon. Needless to say, I didn't get my picture :-( maybe next weekend!

On Saturday afternoon we also went to the nursery and got new flowers. Our landlord finally had people come over and finish landscaping our backyard. In the corner flowerbed by our patio there was a whole lot of nothing so we decided to brighten it up. I moved the original bulbs I had planted in the front and then planted a bunch of different colorful flowers. I can't wait until they all settle in and get a bit bigger and even more beautiful. I just love flowers :-)

Saturday night we hosted Angela Langenbrunner and her Fiance Garret for dinner. Angela and I haven't seen each other since high school and she and her fiance just moved to Colorado. So we ate and enjoyed each others company.

Friday Mike went up with the boys to Copper Mountain to golf and have boys night, while I took advantage and tried to catch up on my scrap booking. I didn't get all of it done, but I did put a dent into my accumulating pile!

No comments: