Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race for the Cure

IMG_4969Over 4 years ago cancer walked into our lives and took our beloved Josie to be an angel in Heaven.  It was then that I really learned how much I hated cancer and it was reaffirmed when just over a year ago it came into our lives IMG_4964again as my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. 

It is so very difficult for me to swallow just what this awful word is, means and does to families.  I. H.A.T.E. I.T.   As anyone who has lost someone or seen someone fight this ugly disease knows it doesn’t discriminate, it just walks in and says “here I am what are you going to do now.”  IMG_4976This is why we need to fight it

one person at a time with family and community standing behind and saying “we are the cure.”  I do believe that we can see cancer of all kinds cured, treatment has been remarkably improved and because of this I get to have my mom here with me to watch Thomas grow.  IMG_4962  On the other hand, Josie continues to be a constant reminder of the fight that we still have to beat this disease.When Mike came into my life he too had seen cancer try to take its hold on both of his grandmothers.  Thankfully, they were able to beat it and have been wonderful additions to mine and Thomas’ lives.

IMG_4982

IMG_4977I also want to mention that we have other people in our lives who have fought or are fighting this ugly disease right now and we also raced for you too.  To those who we have lost to this disease we will continue to fight it and beat it for you.   Together we can find a cure. 

IMG_4980

After an emotional race along side 900 breast cancer survivors we went into the Children’s Museum for a quick play.  Thomas was a trooper and rode for about 2.5 miles in the stroller before he had enough and we took turns running/walking with him the rest of the way.   IMG_5046   IMG_5039     IMG_5033

No comments: