Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Play group…

IMG_1824Thomas started his 2 day a week play group.  Mike was able to come with us for the drop off, meet his teacher and to see his classroom.  Thomas was very excited about his room and his teacher.  The play group is at the community center that is a block and a half from our house, so it is very convenient for all of us.  We have been talking about school all summer, reading books on going to school and have been visiting the classroom (and teacher) for the last couple weeks.  Tuesday’s drop off was a bit emotional.  Thomas had expressed to us before that he wanted his Mama and Dada to stay and play with him.   So we validated his feelings and reassured him that all would be well and we would be coming back for him.  There were tears on his end, but his Parents were ok.  After 30 minutes, I was asked to come back into the room. I walked into his classroom and there he was sunglasses on and tears flowing down his cheeks. His teacher said he was determined he was going home and was packed up and ready.  After a hug and a quick book he calmed down and returned to playing.  I was then able to leave again until the end of class and there weren’t any tears.IMG_1818

Thursday went a bit the same, but by the time we got home he was asking to go back.  It was also hard because he didn’t want to leave his Mama and his Nana Kathy.   

Fast forward a week and lots of worrying on his parents part and Tuesday went a lot better.  There were no tears when I left and only a few tears in the hour that I was gone.  Let’s  hope Thursday goes even better.IMG_1820

Cutest thing is that when I get to class he says “Mama I was crying for you” and gives me a hug and a silly sad made up face.  He all in all seems to be loving the new friends, his teacher and the new fun toys/games/books to play with.   I even got in trouble by Thomas when I didn’t follow a classroom rule, 2.5 year olds are very concrete in their thinking, so whoops on my part!  Now we just need to get over the hump of the tears, but I think we are close, stay tuned. 

No comments: