On Sunday morning we woke up at Nana and Grandpa Laschen’s and had play/swim time before Grandma Nancy picked us up to head to Cloquet. The drive to Cloquet was uneventful and try as we might to convince Thomas to sleep he was too excited to get there.
My Uncle Tom and cousin Hallie brought my Grandma from Fargo to see us. So about an hour after we got to Cloquet they got there and we visited, watched the kids pay and had dinner. We also took a tour of all the damage from the flooding in Jay Cooke a year earlier. It also served as my kids bedtime as they were both exhausted and not wanting to settle down. Somehow in Minnesota the babes are always teething. This trip Elin was cutting her 1st set of molars. She wasn’t crabby but getting her to sleep and stay that was was a challenge, so driving in the car became a quick fix to that.
The rest of the trip we did a lot of hanging out at my parents Grandma and Grandpa’s place. We had friends stop over to play, the dirt pile and apple tree were the big hits at Grandma and Grandpa’s house this trip. We also headed up to the golf course for a round of golf, driving the cart and smelling the flowers.
Wednesday morning I took the kids to the Duluth Zoo and braved the heat. It was hot and sticky so we saw most of the animals in just over an hour. The highlights of the trip were seeing the nocturnal feeding and petting animals in the petting zoo area. It was also a bit surreal for me to see all the damage that was still evident from the flood the previous year. We then met up with Grandpa and Grandma for lunch and celebrated another all clear doctor appointment for my mom! Once home Grandpa and Thomas went for a 4 wheeler ride before Charlie, Lauren and my friend Katie came over. The kids had a blast playing and much too soon it was time for them to go and the kids to get ready for bed. After I got the kids to sleep, Katie and I snuck out for a quick drink together.
On Thursday morning we played around home and I got ready for the drive back down to the cities. We packed up and had an uneventful trip down. Elin slept the whole way and Thomas again fought sleep hard, but eventually did fall asleep. We arrived at Uncle Troy and Auntie Molly’s house and headed out for a walk. Then we went to their kickball game and grabbed dinner after with the team.
It was then time to head over to Grandpa and Grandma Laschen’s house. Some would think I know my way around the “cities” but I really have no clue. I know land marks and what nots but directions, no, anyway, my phone died and I was lost in on my way out of the cities. I some how navigated from Minnetonka to Woodbury with a few wrong turns here and there and two sleeping kids.
Once safely at the Laschen’s, I was met by Mike’s good buddy Larson and his wife Alicia. After Mike got home and we all caught up for a few hours it was bedtime before our trip to Appleton the next morning for the Ganje/Duffy nuptials.
Bridget and Shenan got married in her home town of Appleton Wisconsin. Many of our friends from Colorado made the trek out and it was so great to see everyone. Mike the kids and I made a quick trip after wearing the kiddos out in the pool. Once at the hotel Grandma and Grandpa McConachie (who were nice enough to meet us there to babysit) took over with swimming duty so Mike and I went to dinner with our friends. We were celebrating Katie’s birthday and went for a Wisconsin fish fry. After putting our kiddos to sleep we met the crew at Cleo’s for a wild night that was reminiscent of our days before kids. Let’s just say this lady thought she had it again and the next day I paid for it!
Saturday was more swimming for the kiddos and then lunch and getting ready for the wedding. Bridget and Shenan had a beautiful wedding and reception and Mike and I were so glad we could be there to support them as they start their new lives together.
Sunday was Father’s Day and we woke up, said our good byes and then had brunch with the “dads!” The hotel had a massive Father’s day brunch to celebrate the dads of the world. After brunch it was time to head back to the Laschen’s house for round 2 of celebrating. Again the car trek across Wisconsin was uneventful. The last 30 minutes with both kids up, tired, and ready to be done riding in the car got long, but we were able to distract them and made it with only a few tears.
No comments:
Post a Comment