Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Stella’s Owie

Just after lunch and right before nap time we sent Stella on her way with Kristi to the dog park.  We had just started Skyping with my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma when I saw that Kristi was calling.  It was not normal and I instantly knew something had happened to Stella.  I answered with “is everything ok” and she said “no” I then said “how bad is it?” and she said bad but not too terrible.  My worst fear is that she gets a leg injury because it is hard for giant breed dogs  to distribute their weight on 3 legs.

So we quickly made a plan for me to meet her at the vet, I gathered myself and got the kiddos in the car.  Once at the vet we waited a couple minutes for Stella.  Thomas was a huge trooper and was so worried about Stella’s owie.  Once there it was bad but not super horrible.  She was more upset that we were at the vet.  Kristi didn’t see her get hurt so she was thinking it happened as she was getting out of the van or on a fence entering the park.  When we actually got a good look at it we noticed that their was also a puncture wound above the other larger hole.  My guess is that Stella, the social dufus that she is, went to meet a dog who went to bit and she wasn’t quick enough with her turn out of their way.  I seriously can see exactly how this “owie” probably happened.  Someday we think she will learn to not mess with pups that are clearly telling her they don’t want to play!July 20121Anyway back to the vet.  The vet decided to give her some pain  and anti anxiety medicine.  She doesn’t like being out of control of her body and as soon as it started to take effect she was hiding behind me and even more terrified.   Then I called Mike and asked if he could come meet us either at the vet or home. I didn’t know how I was going to get a drugged 118 lbs. dog with the 2 kiddos into the car and home safety.  (note to self: 3 kids is hard a 4th might be even trickier?)   Thomas stayed up on the chair and played with some trains and watched a few youtube videos while I helped the doctor keep Stella calm.  Elin was in my front carrier and thankfully slept all but the last 20 minutes when she woke up to eat. 

The vet sewed her up and put a drainage tube in.  The biggest girl was a trooper and tried her best to be brave even when it was hurting.   She was so happy when it was all over.  As the vet was giving me the final orders and talking about medication Mike got there.

Stelly was so happy to see her Daddy.  He loved on her and then grabbed Elin from me so I could snuggle with Stella.  Once I was baby free, she instantly collapsed in my lap and passed out.  Poor girl, was even snoring.  We loaded her up and got her home.  The second bummer of the day is that we had tickets to the Emmylou Harris and Steve Martin that night.  We decided that we needed to keep our eye on our big girl so the concert tickets still sit in my wallet, sad!

After going straight through Thomas’ nap with him being the big helper it was an early night at our house.   I am writing this on July 31st and Stella got her drainage tube out Saturday.  She is doing better and it looks to be healing well.  There is still a bit of swelling.  She is still wearing old t-shirts to keep her from scratching and getting yuck all over.  Hardest part is “explaining” to her why she can’t go for runs or to see her friends.  In a few more days she should be healed enough that I can take out her stitches and she will be as good as new!

No comments: