Monday, October 8, 2012

1st Trip to the Dentist

There are no pictures to document this occasion, if I did have any they would be comical to say the least.  I am sure that every woman in the dentist’s office was was sweating, I know I was. 

I had a tooth that had chipped so I also had to have the dentist check things out.  So I went first to show Thomas it wasn’t anything to be nervous about.  As soon as I left Elin’s sight (they needed to get an x-ray), from her car seat, she started to scream.  Now this is not a little scream this is a high pitched ear piercing scream letting you know she is mad and means business.  The dental assistant scooped her us, had her and Thomas looking at me, and then handed her to me as soon as the x-ray was taken.  Screaming done there.  This whole time the dental hygienist is trying to bribe Thomas to smile at her; toys, candy you name it she tried it and he wasn’t even budging.

Then it was time for the dentist to come in.  She checked my teeth, all looked well.  Will have to get the tooth fixed, but at least I wasn’t screaming (back in the day I would have been).  Then it was Elin’s turn, she semi cooperated she smiled and showed off her 2 bottom teeth.  Then came Thomas.  So off Elin went to the hygienist, instantly screaming.  The dentist had her mask on, glasses, and gloves.  Thomas was not impressed and was not cooperating.  No bribe was helping him think this was an ok situation.  After telling him he at least needed to smile or Mommy was going to help the Dentist see his teeth.  So in my fingers went, the dentist said all looked well and that was that.  He doesn’t need to go back to the dentist for a year, unless something changes, relief.  Whew, time for a shower because pretty sure my shirt was soaked.

Lesson’s learned.  ALWAYS TAKE A CHILD TO A PEDIATRIC DENTIST.  This woman is a fine dentist and knows her stuff and I appreciate her, in fact she has been great to both Mike and I.  BUT until this exact moment I didn’t realize she had ZERO kid sense, or no idea how to appease a terrified toddler for a few seconds before she wanted to get in his business. (I should note here Thomas is a tough little stink, he has yet to willingly open his mouth for any doctor or dentist).  She didn’t even talk to the poor guy before he was suppose to perform for her.   Looking back on it, it will be a LESSON LEARNED.  Mike and I will continue to see her and the next check up will be at a completely different place.   Lets hope this wasn’t enough to totally turn him off from dental care.  His parents are working on being better examples too.  Feel free to leave any tips if you have them.

No comments: