Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thomas’ “NEW” Big Boy Room and Sleeping in his Bed Again

IMG_1556Thomas has been very into dressing himself lately.  He no longer wants us to pick out his clothes, or clotheses as he calls them, and often times we would find him in long sleeve shirts on 80+ degree days and didn’t know what was up.  When I asked him and watched I realized that this was the only shirts he could independently take down off the tops shelf in his closet.  So we asked if he would like to have as second bar to be more Thomas height and he happily agreed.  On Mother’s day we worked on cleaning out his closet and Mike built him the lower bar.  Thomas was so excited and very proud of his new closet and independence. 

IMG_1555Later that week while Mike was away and during one of Elin’s afternoon naps, Thomas and I went crazy on his room.  We moved around a few of his toys and the biggest change was we moved his bed.  I thought if we moved it and made his bed it might help him get excited about his room again.  Up until this point he has liked his room, but told us it was “too dangerous” to even consider sleeping in there.  We talked a lot about how exciting it was going to be to surprise Daddy when he got home and how cool this new arrangement was.  We also talked about sleeping in there and how just because he sleeps in there doesn’t mean he can’t ever sleep in our room again.  We also talked about how Elin sleeps in both her and our room still and that we are just a room away.  That night low and behold he went to sleep in his room with Daddy.  He woke up about 2:30 screaming for us and Mike said he hasn’t seen this pregnant Mama move so quick in a long time. 

IMG_1355The next morning he was a little upset about the fact that we had “left him in there” once he fell asleep.  I was a little skeptical about if we could get him back in there, but I thought napping in there was our best shot.  So that afternoon after Elin fell asleep I snuggled up next to him in his bed and he fell asleep.  That night with the promise that Mike and I would take him to bed with us when we went to bed he again fell asleep in his room.  This is such a huge step for our big guy and Mike and I couldn’t be more proud of him! 

No comments: