Thursday, May 9, 2013

Little lessons…

As a stay at home mom I am fairly often the first one to see our children do something.  Both mike and I agree this is one of the benefits of having one of us around all the time.
If the kiddos are doing something Mike will look at me and say "is this new?"IMG_0168
It is also something I struggle with because I truly do cherish all the little things.  I don't want to miss anything and I know that in a blink these two little beings will be heading out the door without looking back (that is until they have kids of their own and have a whole new appreciation for their parents).
Tonight watching Elin study and stare at this strip of light I was absolutely in awe.  She continued to move her fingers and see the light and shadows on the floor.  After a few minutes she looked and giggled to Mike and I and then pointed to the light.  It was like the craziest thing to her.

It was in that moment that I sat completely awe struck at just how much this little girl’s brain has learned in the last year.  The beauty of the human body and how the brain and development work.  In both undergrad and grad school we spent countless hours learning about the human brain.  Thousands of hours spent learning what one of my professors loved to say is “the more we know the more we know we don’t know.”  I may not know if all but of this I am certain, child development has me more mesmerized than I ever could have thought in all my years of school. 

No comments: