I very recently have a slew of friends who are pregnant or are having babies. They are everywhere and I have found myself saying my uterus is burning again, yearning for that new itty bitty baby smell and snuggles. It is also because my little girl Elin is no longer a baby and has very quickly become a walking talking toddler. My best friend Tiffany said it best when we were talking and she called Elin a “blink and you miss it baby.” Couldn’t agree more and I continue to savor every little itty bittiness she has about her as I love love love the little girl she is becoming. Anyway, getting back to all the babies I know and the mamas that I know who are just about to enter the world of Motherhood. My piece of wisdom that I like to share is to savor it, wrap yourself in the good and the bad because it all is over just as quick as it began.
Every mother will tell you that motherhood is one of the best, yet equally challenging jobs in the world. You undoubtedly will be tested as a person more than you ever have, answers are not “text book” and along with being compassionate, nurturing, and warm; on a dime you will need to be able to switch into the person who can give guidance, sometimes direct and teach some of life’s hard lessons. The balance and patience is a challenge and one I am constantly seeking reassurance and guidance on from other mother’s in my life and literature to help keep it all in perspective. Anyway being a mother has been thus far the most fulfilling things I have done in my life. I beam with pride when I talk about my kids, brag about them daily, and can not get enough of just how perfect, even in the most irritating ways, they both are. They are little blessings that I am grateful each and every day I am able to be called their mother.
This year I really felt the love as we celebrated Mother’s Day the whole weekend. We started off by heading over to the park when Mike got home from work. Thomas loves riding his bike in the circle. I just happened to have my camera in the stroller from soccer earlier and grabbed a few pictures.
After lunch and exploring we headed to Deception Pass State Park to check things out. We got to the park and were just about to pay when we double checked and both our kiddos were asleep. Ahhh, so we drove over this beautiful bridge and sucked in the beauty as quickly as we could and headed home with 2 sleeping kiddos and one tired giant pup. (image from google images)
Once home we started to work on the yard and got the grill going. We knew that the yard was going to take a bit of time to finish as my goal was to have the flower beds in the front completed by weekends end. Sunday morning we woke up and had breakfast before heading up to the nursery to pick up some flowers. It was a cool morning and the nursery was not busy at all, very nice when we have the two little ones along.
After the 1st nursery the girls and guys split up. Elin and I headed to the grocery store and 1 other nursery quick and the guys started to work at home and then hand to make a quick run to another grocery store. We reconvened at home for lunch and then Elin took a nap while Thomas and I started the yard work. He and I spent 4 hours outside, digging, planting, and picking weeks. It was great therapy and I’m very pleased with how the yard looks. While we did that Mike got his yummy ribs ready for Mother’s Day dinner. After getting an over tired little guy into the house and calming down a huge melt down we had dinner together.
I then asked Mike if he would get a picture of me with the kiddos, as you can see getting a myself, a giant pup, Thomas, and Elin all to be looking and smiling is a tricky task, but it is the normalcy of our chaotic world. It was a perfect weekend , as a family doing nothing too extraordinary, and the typical ordinary that I love my family so much for. Now if only a cleaning fairy would have shown up to deep clean the house, wash all the clothes, fold and put away all the laundry, guess it is back to reality!
No comments:
Post a Comment